Monday, August 17, 2009

Words to ease a troubled, paranoid PhD student

An excerpt from my supervisor’s feedback for the latest PhD chapter I’ve submitted, on US foreign policy and the media:

“this was very interesting and enjoyable. The standard of citation is exceptional; and you have overcome the problems of balance: there is now an appropriate distribution between your own words and other people’s. Structurally it is also sound: indeed if it were a think-tank report then it would be nearly complete.” [emphasis obviously mine]

Certainly picked up my mood and made me feel a little better – when I submitted it, I was ready to put my fist through my computer screen, and my concerns over referencing and quotations and so forth (here, here, here, and here) turned out to be mostly over-compensation. Feel a lot better, now. Onwards to the next chapter!

No comments: