Thursday, January 15, 2009

“Own Knowledge”

When it comes to writing a thesis, to what extent can one attribute stuff to own knowledge? Case in point, the current Bush administration: I’ve read a considerable percentage of the journalism (and an increasing number of books) on the president and his administration, not to mention seen plenty of news stories and reports on the TV. At what point can I start including things in my PhD from my own knowledge and memory? Does absolutely everything need to be attributed to someone else (not necessarily a problem, as I am a bit excessive with attribution and referencing)?

Anyway, that’s what I’m struggling with at the moment. 6,500 words of notes for Bush I, 7,500 for Clinton, and 4,500 so far for Bush II. If only I could just sit down and write!

No comments: