Saturday, August 09, 2008

Continuing the Coffee Theme...

Another quick post on the subject of coffeeshops in the UK. Some observations
  • Coffee cups/mugs are considerably smaller in London than they are in the same franchise in Durham and Cambridge. I was in a Cafe Nero's a month or so ago in London, and the cup was noticeably about 1/3 smaller than usual! No comparative reduction in price, I might point out...
  • Starbucks have improved their coffee a great deal - it used to be way to strong and be far too bitter. Now they appear to have discovered a better strain/species of bean. Highly recommended.
  • Don't go for Starbucks' coffee-of-the-day unless you're there really early in the morning. If you get it by the end of the day, it's stewed to the consistency and (I imagine) the flavour of warm tar - this is true for, at least, the branches in Cambridge and New York.

I'll write about coffeeshops again tomorrow. I spend enough time in them, after all. Maybe I should write my thesis about coffee and not US Foreign Policy...

No comments: