Monday, February 18, 2008

A truly bizarre system...

According to the Economist (Feb 16th 2008, pp.48-49), even though Barack Obama has won 22 of the 35 primary races for the Democratic nomination, winning all the remaining races would not give him enough delegates to claim victory over Hillary Clinton. This is just downright weird.
He's won 22 states so far, giving him 1,253 delegates to Clinton's 1,221 (from 13 states). Surely his winning the most states should be enough? I understand that certain states have considerably larger 'power' in these primaries, and I can appreciate why (California, New York and Texas are where most of the nation's money is, for example), but there's something decidedly undemocratic about the Democratic parties system.
I know, not a very deep posting, but it's something that came to me as I sit here, waiting to take applications for the Warm Front grant...

No comments: