Monday, March 06, 2006

Who wants to be a journalist?!

To tell you the truth, not me.
I've been subbing for the course magazine, and I've come across a website that has some truly disturbing facts: in the past decade, 337 journalists have been killed on-the-job. 337! My image of a peaceful existence as portrayed by Clark Kent (when not saving the world) and other literary journalists, feet up on my desk, drinking coffee and eating doughnuts, waiting for the latest scoop to fall in my lap, has been completely destroyed!
True, the Iraq War has created its fair share of journalists in bodybags (60), but even without this, 277 journalists died in other countries! This includes radio journalists (62) and hapless photographers and cameramen (67).
These deaths aren't the results of accidents: 237 are confirmed murders! Of theses, 202 were murdered with impunity.
However, crossfire claimed 67, and natural disasters and "other dangerous circumstances" (such as street demonstrations) claimed the lives of 33 others.
Do you think they give hazard pay...?

No comments: